DISH SUBMISSION PERIOD
The dish submission period for the 2021 Giant BBQ Battle Virtual Experience Contests (the “Contests”) begins on Wednesday, May 26, 2021 and ends on Wednesday, June 16, 2021 (the “Submission Period”). All dishes must be submitted online by visiting www.BBQinDC.com/contest and clicking on the desired contest(s).
Judging for the contest will be conducted from Friday, May 28, 2021 and throughout the month of June 2021 in four weekly rounds. Judging will be done via a “people’s choice” popular vote on www.BBQinDC.com, subject to change at BARBECUE BATTLE® Inc.’s (Henceforth referred to as Sponsor) discretion. Weekly judging for the contests shall be concluded on Wednesdays at 5:00 PM throughout the month of June 2021 (June 2, 9, 16, 23,). Each week, the top five entrants (the five entrants who receive the most votes in their week) per contest category (three categories, listed below) will be submitted to the final round of judging, resulting in 20 finalists per contest category (for a grand total of 60 finalists). In the last week of the event (June 24-30) judging will be conducted among the finalists to determine the contest winners by popular vote (as described below), subject to Sponsor’s certifying of votes. Judging in the popular vote contest is limited to real individuals only and any method of cheating (e.g., bots, fake accounts) will result in immediate disqualification. Entrants are encouraged to invite friends, family, coworkers, and any others they know to vote for them.
A total of five (5) prizes per contest category will be awarded. Prizes issued in the form of Giant Gift Cards. Prizes will be awarded based on the most popular dish, as determined by the most votes gained among any entrants. Additional prizes shall be awarded from second place down on the next most votes received. Prizes are as follows:
FIRST PLACE: $1,000 Giant Shopping Spree. *
SECOND PLACE: $250 Giant Shopping Spree. *
THIRD PLACE: $100 Giant Shopping Spree. *
FOURTH PLACE: $50 Giant Shopping Spree. *
FIFTH PLACE: $25 Giant Shopping Spree. *
Each winner will also receive an Individual Annual membership to the Kansas City Barbeque Society: a $40 value. *Winners who do not reside in MD, VA, DE, or DC may request a cash prize be substituted for their Giant Shopping Spree (Gift card).
The Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States who are Eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry (the “Entrant” or “Entrants”). Employees, contractors, and interns of BARBECUE BATTLE® Inc. and the Giant BARBECUE BATTLE® Inc. and each of their respective divisions, affiliates, parent companies, subsidiaries, advertising, and promotion agencies (including, in each case, immediate family members) are not eligible to enter the Contest. For purposes of this Contest, “immediate family members” is defined as spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws”, or by current or past marriage, remarriage, adoption, co-habitation or other familial extension, and any other persons residing at the same household location, whether or not related. In order to enter the Contest or win a prize in this Contest, the Entrant must comply fully with these Official Rules, and by entering agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Kansas City Barbeque Society and BARBECUE BATTLE® Inc., whose decisions shall be binding and final in all respects.
HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST AND SUBMIT A DISH
Entrant should log on to www.BBQinDC.com/contest (the “Website”) during the Submission Period, click on the Contest banner and follow the instructions for entry. The Entrant will be redirected to the Kansas City Barbeque Society website www.kcbs.us to register for the contest and upload their entry. The Entrant must provide all requested information in the required fields including full name, e-mail address, ZIP code and photo, as instructed on the Website. Entrants are specifically required to submit a close-up photo showing “appetite appeal shot” (such that it can reasonably be determined to be appealing by an outside party) of fully grilled or smoked item. It can be plated, on the grill/smoker, in a turn-in container, or other method deemed by entrant to be appropriate to satisfying the above “appetite appeal shot” conditions. The Entrant should then click “submit” to be entered in the Contest (the “Entry” or “Entries”). In the event the Contest is entered via a mobile device, message and data charges may apply.
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED FROM ENTRANT BY 5:00 PM ET ON JUNE 16, 2021 (THE “SUBMISSION DEADLINE”). NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS TIME.
Entries for the Contest will not be accepted through postal mail, hand-delivery, express mail delivery, e-mail or via facsimile. Sponsor and The Kansas City Barbeque Society will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, or misdirected Entries.
ODDS OF WINNING
Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible Contest entries received and the quality of the Dishes received, as judged pursuant to these Rules.
- The Giant BARBECUE BATTLE® is looking for original dishes to showcase to its audience. The dish must be the Entrant’s own original creation. The Entrant may use other recipes and dishes for inspiration, but Entrant must use his/her/their own unique ingredient and cooking instruction changes in order for the dish to be considered.
- The Entrant must enter a Dish into one, two, or all of the following three (3) Contest categories (the “Category” or “Categories”)
- (a) CHICKEN – PERDUE SIZZLIN’ CHICKEN CONTEST
- (b) BEEF – AMERICA’S BEST BEEF
- (c) PORK RIBS – SMOKIN’ WITH SMITHFIELD
- Each Entrant must list the category within the naming of the electronic file to be submitted. (i.e., “Beef,” “Ribs,” etc.).
- An Entrant may submit only one entry for each contest category during the Submission Period. An Entrant may enter all three (3) contest categories, limited to one Entry per contest category.
- By submitting dish in this Contest, the Entrant grants the Sponsor and the Kansas City Barbeque Society unrestricted use of the submitted entry which includes the right to publish the dish and any other information provided worldwide in all print and electronic media (now or hereafter existing) without time limitation, and the right to include the Entrant’s hometown (e.g., city and state) in connection therewith. Sponsor reserves the right to edit, modify, translate, reproduce, and distribute the submitted material in any medium and in any manner as it deems appropriate.
- By entering the Contest, Entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted dish is an original work created solely by the Entrant, that the dish does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the dish.
- By submitting the dish, Entrant accepts the Rules and agrees to be bound by the decisions of the Contest judges, which will be final as to all matters.
- Each Entrant shall submit the following:
- A photo of their finished Dish, plated, showing:
- The final dish fully prepared to show appearance and tenderness.
- Name of the Dish in caption form:
- A photo of their finished Dish, plated, showing:
(Johnson’s Family Chicken, Red’s Ribs, So Good Buffalo Style Brisket, etc.)
- If a file is corrupt or not working, we will make one attempt to gather a different file from the contestant.
JUDGING / SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS
- Weekly “People’s Choice” Judging
Each round of the contest will be judged online by “people’s choice” popular vote managed by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. Participants will be instructed to judge dishes based on the follow criteria:
- Appearance – Does it look appetizing such that you want to try it?
- Tenderness– Does it look like it is tender and juicy?
- Taste– Can you imagine the dish based on appearance and tenderness would be tasty?
- Name – How well suited is the name of the dish based on the above factors?
Those who opt to vote in the popular vote method (henceforth Voters) will be limited to one vote per weekly contest and any other conditions specifically listed on the voting platform. Any actions by Voters that violates these conditions will be removed and will result in losing the privilege to vote for the remainder of the contest period.
- One (1) winner in each contest category will be selected as the winner (the “Category Winner” or “Category Winners”). The entries in each contest category with the greatest number of votes will be declared the winner, with the second highest number of votes coming in second; continuing through 5thplace in descending order of most votes.
- Entrants are eligible to win one (1) prize per contest category in this Contest.
Each of the Winners will be notified on or around July 3, 2021 via phone or e-mail. Each of the Winners must sign, have notarized, and return any documents sent along with notification of winning within fifteen (15) days of prize notification, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release (and any other documentation required by Sponsor, in its sole discretion) in order to be eligible to accept the prize or the winner will be disqualified, and the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner.
No substitution or transfer of the prizes will be allowed, except at the sole discretion of BARBECUE BATTLE® Inc. BARBECUE BATTLE® Inc. reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time. Once received by winner, no compensation will be given for lost, stolen, mutilated or expired gift cards and BARBECUE BATTLE® bears no responsibility in replacing lost, stolen, mutilated or expired gift cards. In order to begin the Kansas City Barbeque Society annual membership, Winners should contact [email protected] or 1-800-963-5227.
All local, state, and federal taxes incurred by accepting a prize will be the sole responsibility of the prize winner. Any person winning over $600 in prizes during any, one (1) year period will be required to fill out a W-9 form and will receive an IRS Form 1099 for tax purposes.
USE OF E-MAIL ADDRESSES By participating in this Contest, an Entrant agrees to opt-in to receive e-mail communications from the Sponsor. If an Entrant chooses to opt out of such future communications from the Sponsor, he/she/they will be able to do so by following the instructions on any electronic communications sent by the Sponsor. Upon opting out, the Sponsor will no longer send e-mail messages to the Entrant. An Entrant may choose to opt out of being on any Sponsor e-mail list during the Contest Period. An Entrant’s choice to opt out will not affect the Entrant’s entry or chances in the Contest.
By entering, each Entrant agrees to comply with these Official Rules and the decisions of BARBECUE BATTLE®, which are binding and final, and release BARBECUE BATTLE®, and each of its divisions, affiliates, parent companies, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, the Kansas City Barbeque Society and anyone associated with the production of this Contest, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability for any claims, injuries, losses or damages (including attorney’s fees) of any kind arising out of their participation in this Contest or resulting from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize. The potential prize winners waive the right to assert as a cost of winning the prize any and all costs of verification and redemption or travel to redeem said prize and waives any liability or claims (including attorney’s fees) which might arise from redeeming or seeking to redeem said prize. In the event of non-compliance with these Official Rules, or if prize notification is returned to BARBECUE BATTLE® as undeliverable, if prize is refused or cannot be accepted for any reason, the prize will be forfeited, and an alternate winner will be selected in a random drawing. Upon forfeiture, no compensation will be given. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to use the winner’s name, photograph, likeness, Contest submissions and/or statements attributed to winners regarding the Contest, for advertising and publicity purposes without further compensation or consent. All entries become the property of BARBECUE BATTLE®, with opportunity for use by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. This Contest shall only be construed and evaluated according to the laws of the state of Maryland, without regard to the principles of conflicts laws and submission of any entry constitutes acceptance of such laws. This Contest is void where prohibited. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply.
This Contest is not intended for gambling. If it is determined that an Entrant is using the Contest for gambling purposes, he/she will be disqualified and reported to authorities.
BARBECUE BATTLE®, the Kansas City Barbeque Society and its affiliates reserve the right to use any and all information related to the Contest, including information on Entrants obtained through the Contest, for marketing purposes or any other purpose, unless prohibited by law.
BARBECUE BATTLE® and their affiliates reserve the right to change the rules of the Contest at any time.
NAMES OF WINNERS / WINNING DISHES
Contest Winners will be posted online at www.BBQinDC.com beginning approximately July 3, 2021.
SPONSOR & CONTEST ADMINISTRATOR
BARBECUE BATTLE® Inc. P.O. Box 1607, Bowie, MD, 20717